From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 22:05:45 -0600
> Why keep air out of creamed honey batches?
>
> If air gets into a creamed honey mixture, the air will float to the
> top of the jar and make a head of foam much like that you can get
> with extracted honey.  And, just like extracted honey, foam in
> creamed honey is considered a major cosmetic fault.
>
> When I make creamed honey, I let the seed/honey mixture stand for an
> hour or two after mixing to let the air bubbles rise to the surface
> before pouring the jars.  Since I pour from the bottom of the mixing
> pail, all the foam winds up in the last jar.  That jar goes on our
> kitchen table.  I also do not stir creamed honey after the intial
> mixing; this to avoid introducing air to the mix.

This is all true, but if you can introduce air by having a leak in
your honey pump and the honey is cold, sometimes you will get really
nice creamy honey.

I know one beekeepers whose trick to keep his customers coming back
was to put the honey through a hammermill!

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>