From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:30:24 -0400
Jim wisely pointed out the benefits of breaking supers ahead of actually pulling them.  I wanted to expand on that some.

One of the tragedies I occasionally see is comb honey with beautiful white cappings that are streaked with what looks like water.  That "water" is actually honey that managed to drip from the super above and disfigure an excellent product.

When harvesting comb honey supers it is very important to do one of two things:
1.  Go out the preceding day and lift up the supers to be harvested and, of course, take off the inner cover.  It will be best if you also scrape the burr comb, but it is not absolutely necessary.  You can do this as late as you like the preceding afternoon or early evening.  By the next morning the bees will have cleaned up all the liquid honey...even that which dripped onto the sealed cappings below!  Yet, they bees will not have had a chance to build new burr comb, so you can harvest with no dripping.
2.  If you can't take the time to visit the hives the day before, as you take the supers off separate them with something absorbent or impervious.  I have seen a sheet of newspaper used, as well as a galvanized tray.  Both do fine, as would cardboard or anything similar.  The drippings then are limited to just one super and then only from any burr comb on top.

If you are harvesting supers to be extracted, you may also want to follow idea #1, above as it greatly cuts down on the mess in your truck, trunk, garage, basement, etc.  You should also put the bottom super inside an upside down outer cover or, better yet, a drip pan made for the purpose.  The best I have seen, for the price, are made by an Amish fellow.  They are just $4.50.

NO TELEPHONE,  BUT THE ADDRESS IS:
Dan Miller
5670 B County Rd. 10
Heuvelton, NY 13654

I own six, and can never seem to find an empty one when I need it.  Am about to order another ten!

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturer of round comb honey equipment and Sundance pollen traps