From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2013 21:40:38 +0100
>And thanks for the info on the bubble apparently bursting in the UK.  I
continually ask the bee equipment supplier about sales, wondering when this
is going to happen in the U.S.

I think that some bee equipment suppliers had a rough time when varroa
arrived.  Many beekeepers gave up and there was plenty of empty equipment
going cheap.  Then in recent years we have had the boom of new beekeepers
all hell-bent on saving the bee.  I have often asked whether they thought
that it would be helpful if I decided to keep cows and sheep (with no
knowledge of either) if we were in the middle of a foot & mouth outbreak.
Others on our committee just want to increase member numbers no matter what.

Now I think things may be stabilising, but that may not be helpful to some
National Beekeeping  Associations who have perhaps worked out budgets based
on a continuing boom.  No names, no pack drill as they say.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W