From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:37:51 +1000
James Fischer wrote

> The most recent word on the subject is that Australia has a different, but
similar beetle.
> Since it looks so different to the naked eye, it may even get a different
name.

In an attempt to stop the misinformation being spread around on this
subject, I would inform the list that taxonomic entomologists have
identified it as Aethina tumida.  DNA shows it to be the Durban strain of
Aethina tumida.   This is different to the two (2) strains known to be
present in the USA and others that exist in various countries in Africa
including Egypt.  This information has been freely made available to all who
have asked or read the reports.  If some taxonomic entomologist wants to
give it a new name, I suppose it will depend whether that person is a lumper
or splitter.

The difference is from one person's observations.  I believe the person
involved is from California and I thought California was free of SHB.  My
observations of the SHB present here and those shown on various websites
look the same to me but then I am not a taxonomic entomologist.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA