From:
BOB MINCKLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1993 16:39:50 -0600
> Subj: trap-nests and carpenter bees

Hello,

Doug Yanega told me about your inquiry. I have played around with trap
nests for Xylocopa. Are you interested in making them so you can
observe the in-nest behavior or do you simply want a bunch of nests?
Both types are possible.
I will look up some of the nest dimension information for you this
weekend and get back to you. But because my work was done in Arizona
you will want to modify the entrance and tunnel dimensions to the
species you plan on studying.
I can tell you that we had the best luck using sugar maple as the wood
probably because the tunnels were very smooth, not rough as softer
woods seem to create.
I'll write later this weekend with more information.

Bob Minckley
Univ. of Kansas--
-------(please include "RM" in subj header of mail to this user)--------
Robert L. Minckley                                Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX
          Snow Entomological Museum, Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045
"Xylocopa for the masses"