From:
Bob Bassett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 19:16:12 -0500
Hello Tim and Friends,
I keep bees for apitherapy. I usually take out a honey frame and shake the
bees onto a full sheet of newspaper and immediately fold the paper over onto
the bees.  The bees will mill around between the sheets of the newspaper
without taking flight.  I then have time to place the honey frame, back into
the hive, and close up the hive.  I have a 1 quart plastic peanut butter jar
which I use to gather up a quantity of bees.  The lid of the jar is drilled
with many 1/8" holes.  I grasp the folded newspaper by the opposing corners
and give it quick shake or two.  The bees are now gathered in a line down
the center of the folded paper.  At this point, I usually just open the
paper and scoop up whatever quantity of bees I want into the mouth of the
jar, shake them gently into the bottom of the jar and then screw the lid on.
I then just shake the rest of the bees, left on the paper, on the hive
entrance.  The bees are usually cooperative and this method is very easy for
me.  I have been doing this for years.

Bob Bassett