Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 20:29:00 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
I have the following -                                                          

two full hives (2 chambers each)                                             
   two splits (one above each hive, using a double screened board)              
   one super on each full hive                                                  

Saturday, one of my full hives swarmed.  I had an idea that something was       
up.  Due to a rainy week, I did not inspect the hive.  I had plans to           
inspect the hive mid-afternoon on Saturday.  The bees were one ahead of me.     
They swarmed and I was not able to capture them.                                

Today (Wednesday), my husband claims that another of my hives swarmed.  I       
inspected them when I got home, noted one or two swarm cells in one of the      
_splits_.  The cells were chewed open.  The one split is doing tremendously     
well - this is the one that _may_ have swarmed.                                 

One full hive and one split was low on brood.  I shared some brood from the     
split and the full hive that was doing well.  The split that was doing well     
was crowded, so sharing some of its brood will help relieve the congestion.     

I plan on putting a super on the one split tomorrow.  I am putting a super      
together as we speak.  Is there anything else that I can do to avoid            
additional swarms?                                                              

Despite the fact that there was a swarm (possibly two), there are still a       
lot of bees in each hive.                                                       

I have been keeping bees for four years and do not wish to stop doing so.       
Does anyone have any ideas for success for the rest of the season?  I do        
plan on reuniting the splits with their original hives - when is the best       
time to do this?                                                                

Laura Downey                                                                    
Anne Arundel County, Maryland, USA                                              
[log in to unmask]                                                               

ATOM RSS1 RSS2