From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:21:29 -0400
Now that mite treatment season is upon us I have been pondering better
treatment modalities and I am thinking my screened bottom boards may be part
of the problem with less-thnt optimal mite kills.  I use Apiguard and
various formic treatments, all of which are fumigants.  I also have 100%
screened bottom boards - which I love for multiple reasons - but are a
nightmare for fumigation.  I am thinking the problem with fumigant type
treatments and screened bottom boards is the inability to get a tight seal
on the screened bottom and leaking of the fumigant.  Has anyone else
wondered about this?  I am about to start using the WVa fumigant boards that
call for a tight bottom and reduced entrance to ensure thorough fumigation
over a short time frame (I have to wait until the temps moderate first).  I
have used slide-in barriers on my screened bottoms in the past but there
seems to be some blockage or impediment many times to silding the paper or
plastic sheet in and I get mixed results from fumigation.  My intent now is
to replace all of my screened bottoms with solid bottoms that can accomodate
fitted entrance reducers to try to get improved fumigation.  Has anyone
looked at this?  I am tired of 30-40% mortality and am looking at all the
angles.

Bill Lord