From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 21:12:58 -0500
>  What is your State Apiary Inspection Program like?

Well, I have two state apiary programs to deal with. Both quite different.
         I live and keep bees in Vermont. The inspection service is under
funded, as most are. The inspector doubles as an apple inspector. As a
result, he isn't able to inspect all the colonies he might. That doesn't
mean he isn't doing a good job. So, he has to budget his time, and spend it
where he feels it will do the best good. He mostly inspects hobbyists,
migratories, and those with a history of AFB. He's always there for those
that have a problem.
         I also keep bees in New York State. There the program is run quite
differently. A large % of the colonies have been inspected, both for AFB,
and mite count. In fact, the inspector went through every colony I have in NY.

>How important is it to you?

I feel the inspection programs are invaluable. It's like having a second
pair of eyes, and the time to look. Over the last few years, I have stopped
using antibiotics. All my equipment has cycled through the bees at least
twice. All my apiary reports came back clean. I now have a starting point
where I can say my equipment is clean. Imagine the importance of that. I
want to thank those in charge, for spending the time and money. Well done.

>  If you had to justify the funding of Apiary inspection to the people
> with their hands on the purse strings what would you say?

Try explaining it in terms they might understand, or be familiar with. I
keep my bees in dairy country. The health of the herds is of utmost
importance. There are cattle diseases that if left unchecked, could destroy
a large portion of the industry. Brucellosis is such a disease. Hoof and
Mouth is another. When these diseases are found in a herd, the herd is
destroyed. Period. And, the neighbors' herds may be destroyed as well.
While these diseases won't spread to the human population, the economic
losses to the community can be huge. Same scenario with AFB. Huge possible
losses for not only the beekeeper, but also for orchards and farms
requiring pollination.
Mike