Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:09:48 -0600
> Need some help here, but my understanding of resistance development would
> make the practice of reduced treatment result in faster resistance
> development.

I think this is a more complex issue than many would admit, however, my
understanding of the percentage kill question is that if a pesticide is
applied so that it blankets the target zone and is used at a concentration
that kills 99.9999% of the target pest, the 0.0001% that survive are very
likely to be either mutants which are resistant or individuals which are
genetically significantly less susceptible to the pesticide than the others.

Of course, at this low survival rate, the odds are very slim, and those
individuals may well be less fit than the population which lacks that trait,
and fail to thrive, or they may meet with an accident, fail to reproduce,
etc. BUT, if they do reproduce, (and they do not need a mate) then the
resulting population will have a fairly high incidence of the resistant
trait, and these individuals will eventually meet others with some
resistance mechanism, and off we go...

On the other hand, if the kill is lower and allows some non-resistant
individuals to survive each time, then the population is less likely to be
dominated by resistant types, and they are forced to compete (and mate) with
the average mite genotype keeping them diluted.

It is a numbers game.  Somewhere between total annihilation and no treatment
is a the sweet spot for developing resistance.  I am sure that the question
has been modeled many times, with differing assumptions and inputs, and that
the result is the recommended doses we are given.

These recommendations, which differ from country to country,  are
doubtlessly based on assumptions that include risk of operator error,
average climate, and some ideal cluster size and density, along with optimal
pricing for maximum company profit taking into consideration the probable
product life on the market and IRR.

Smart operators have noted, though, for example, that the dose for Apistan
seemed to assume worst case conditions -- fall application in warm weather
with bees on the bottom board -- and soon learned that  a big boost in
efficacy was achieved by using Apistan in spring when the bees were far from
the bottom board much of the day, and falling mites would perish in the cold
lower regions.  Add the fact that a larger percentage of the mites were
necessarily phoretic due to reduced brood rearing at the time, and that the
mites were old and tired from winter, and it quickly became apparent that
one strip in such circumstances was superior to four strips in early fall.

FWIW

This just a start on the question, but I am out of time.

I'm sure Bob will add more.