From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2018 18:27:20 -0400
> Putting the differences in beekeeper experience and motivation aside, what accounts for the higher survival

Hi there
I think you have dismissed the two main ones: experience and motivation.

> But for the sake of discussion, what commercial practices do you think hobbyists and sideliners could learn from? And what advantages do you think hobbyists have over commercial operations in terms of hive survival only?

Treat the apiary as a group, not individual hives. If the apiary is a going concern, it is less important how many hives there are.

On the other hand, if you are not increasing -- you are decreasing. Make as many new colonies as you have equipment for, and then don't worry if some don't survive.

Really, I tend to keep bees the same way I did when I had 500 hives, though now I have 20. I don't fuss with them too much, try to do the right things at the right time. Monitor for mites and take action!

Talk to other people to find out what works and what doesn't. Don't be overly optimistic; don't get discouraged; stay with it, beekeeping is its own reward.

PLB