From:
Angela Copi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:23:19 -0400
>Really?  Bomber!  I checked out the ivy on the stone walls at Biltmore as
>well.  It had flowers as well although I did not see the long branches with
>unlobed leaves.  Could ivy produce flowers sooner in optimum conditions?

Was the ivy on the walls Boston ivy rather than English ivy?  Boston ivy has
grape-like leaves which line themselves up against the wall almost like
shingles.  This is the ivy of the "ivy league" colleges.  I have never
observed it, but have heard that bees work it well.

Also of interest, I just found a reference that says that if you take your
cuttings from the adult growth of the plant, the plant will stay in that
mode as it grows, giving you an ivy which blooms much sooner than the 15-20
years.

I still like porcelain berry as a bee plant, all things considered.  The
only perenial native vine I can think of that is reported to be a good honey
plant is poison ivy.  I'm guessing you don't want to propagate that, and
besides, it blooms in the Spring which (I'm guessing) is not the niche you
are looking to fill.

Keith Copi
Richmond, VA