From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:18:42 -0800
> >Could this mean the CCD problem is quietly disappearing
> even among the migratory beekeepers?

This has been the $64,000 question, Paul--whether CCD would be like the
previous collapse events, and disappear without a trace.  CCD forced
commercial beekeepers to pay more attention to their bees--better nutrition,
being more prudent with miticide applications, better management of varroa
and nosema.

Couple these factors with better weather (and the resulting forage), an
elimination of highly susceptible bees to whichever pathogen(s) were
involved, and the rapid evolution of bee virus "mutant swarms," it would be
no surprise for CCD to become yet another "Disappearing Disease."

We won't know what the true supply of bees is until February (I heard of one
beekeeper sending 19 semi loads of deadouts back to Texas recently).
However, if I wouldn't be shipping any more bees into California unless you
have a firm contract!

Randy Oliver