From:
Scott Koppa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:08:31 +0000
Re: James Fischer
"So, how is 'consciousness' relevant in insects when, even in ourselves, it appears that one's consciousness only makes up rationalizations to justify
what has already been decided on a purely instinctive/stimulus-response basis by a brain that has not even informed the conscious mind of its
decision until a fraction of a second before the action?  (Brings new profound meaning to the phrase "post hoc rationalization", eh?)

There has been lots of drivel on these studies and the concept of "free will", but I think it is more accurate to describe them as findings that
push at least the early steps in a lot of decision-making into the "unconscious" rather than "conscious" realm."

A great discussion of this (in the human mind) is found in Daniel Kahneman's book, "Thinking Fast and Slow."

Are consciousness and awareness the same then? For even if our decisions are made in the "subconscious mind," [Kahneman's "system 1"] we are certainly aware of them.

In addition, it is also interesting to consider that we all experience/perceive things in the past relative to their actual occurrence. Why should our decision making be any different? Synapses take time.  ;o)