From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2012 21:30:10 -0700
>I still have to wonder about all those empty hives &  dinks from those 7200

> splits with new queens.

Did anyone ever say that the colonies died?  Or did they simply say that
they only took some percentage to almonds?  There's a big difference.

>I question why the USDA-ARS and many use winter loss as the measure for CCD
and the industry.

Winter loss and CCD are generally two completely separate phenomena.  CCD
never accounted for more than a small percentage of winter losses.  As
you've previously said, you've never even seen a case of CCD.  CCD is
simply an easy scapegoat upon which many beekeepers blame their losses.

>Could the effect of pesticide damage ever be accurately figured?

Sure, compare winter loss rate for matched groups of colonies from
agricultural and non ag areas, assuming good forage at each.  I'm in
regular contact with large commercial beekeepers who do just that.  Losses
are typically higher from ag areas, but not necessarily.

My own operation is sort of a control group--I'm in non ag (except for
organic) after almonds.  I still see winter losses, generally from viruses,
nosema, failing queens, or too high varroa.  And some losses that I can't
explain.  Except I can't blame those losses on pesticides.  So one must
subtract such typical nonpesticide losses from the loss rate of those
exposed to pesticides.

It's been long known that a pesticide hit late in the season can lead to
serious winter losses.  Contaminated beebread could affect winter bees
negatively.  However, those beekeepers who control varroa and nosema, and
maintain good colony nutrition generally suffer far fewer winter losses
than those that don't.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA