From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2018 11:25:09 -0500
> it is reasonable to suppose that natural resources would be preferable, based on what we know about nutrition.

I guess that the key word here is "natural". In the spring before natural nectar and pollen are available I put out open feeders of sub and sometimes syrup. Admittedly not a great idea with syrup but sometimes expedient. At any rate as soon as the first tree born pollen is available the girls will drop the sub like a bad habit. Not so the syrup. They will go after the "blue bucket" flow at any season in preference to any nectar that I know of, no doubt due to the sucrose concentration. Sucrose from cane or beets is sucrose as much as from clover or blackberry. The trace amounts of other stuff make it the wonderful honey that we enjoy but it is clear which the bees prefer. Just like your kids and junk food they will not always make the healthiest choice but my point is sucrose is sucrose.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA