From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Dec 1998 08:33:56 -0700
> Some info about yeast - Saccharomyces cerevisiae (Which I gather is
> the one you would be buying - also sometimes called S.carlsburgensis,
> S.pastorianus and a few others) is a very versatile and tough yeast.

We'll deal with the California Spray Dry product here for now, since that
is the only one I have found that I can afford.  It is about 50c USD per
pound and the torula (torutein CT) that Musson was recommending turns out
to be $5.20 CAD /kg

> If grown under hyperoxygenater conditions (IE not in the bottom of a beer
> fermentor) it is very rich in a number of fats, proteins and other
> nutrients which we can digest....

Here's the breakdown.  Maybe you can say if this is spent and sporulated
yeast or the oxygenated variety?

Protein 39-48%
Fat 2.3%
Fiber 3.6%
Ash 5.9%
Moisture 3.7%
pH 4-7
Bulk Density 30-33lbs/ft3

Minerals
NFE 49.9
Calcium 21
Phosporus 10
Magnesium .06
Potassium 1.94
Sodium .26
Copper 6.0 ppm
Iron 43.0 ppm
Manganese 22.4 ppm
Zinc 24.0 ppm

Vitamins
E 7.4 iu/lb
B6 14.0 mg/lb
B12 3.9 mcg/lb
Thiamine 16. mg/lb
Niacin 147.0 mg/lb
Pantothenic Acid 6.1 mg/lb
Choline 324.0 mg/lb
Biotin 98.0 mcg/lb
Folic Acid .64 mg/lb
Inositol 2078 mg/lb
Riboflavin 10.1 mg/lb

> Now - if one takes such yeast and dries it a a low temperature - up
> to about 40C (probably about 110F) the yeast will spurulate if it can...

I gather the spray drying process is just that.  The slurry is sprayed
from a nozzle and dries quickly at moderate temperatures.  How fast can
yeast sporulate?

I don't know the drying temperature.  I haven't tried resusitating the
yeast to see if it is active.

Allen