From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:07:39 -0600
> Would it be possible to hide a piece of paper in a beehive
> for over 30 years w/o it being destroyed?

Recently, due to rough handling , one of our older hive lids fell apart; we
found that the beekeeper who originally made it had apparently used an 1928
newspaper for insulation inside the lid, under the metal cover.  Lids
sometimes wind up in storage at times and I doubt that the lid was in use
on beehives for the entire time since the late twenties, but we had bought
the lid along as part of some used hives, and were using the lid until it
fell met its demise.

The newspaper was in quite good condition.  FWIW, I've found also newspaper
used for insulation in old buildings over the years, and they have
generally been in good enough shape to read.

allen