From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2011 09:43:47 -0400
Hi all

It is quite clear from the literature that the European Union and vegans consider honey to be of animal origin. Personally, it makes absolutely no difference to me since I don't live in Europe and I am not a vegan. Other governmental bodies classify honey with various sugar products, all of vegetable origin.

However, to me calling honey "of animal origin" is nuts. Nectar is a plant substance like maple sap and it is processed to remove water, in a manner similar to the making of maple syrup. Granted, honey bees add enzymes to the nectar but to my way of thinking this does not therefore make it an animal product.

Beeswax and royal jelly, on the other hand, are definitely products of the bees' bodies, produced by glands and hence analogous to milk. But again, this is somewhat tenuous, since insects are not mammals and their products generally do not harbor bacteria and viruses that affect humans, if produced under sanitary conditions.

PLB