Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2014 09:21:03 -0400
>   I challenge all to explain how a bee
> might become "greasy looking" except via contact with an unnatural
> substance
> in the course of their foraging.

Actually there are several  ways bees can become "greasy" looking. I have
seen them on the blueberry fields. They are hairless because of trying to
pollinate the blueberry blossoms.

Also bee paralysis yields the same look and the same for a bacteria
infection. So there are three.

Bee viruses were around way back before Varroa, only they were "lab
curiosities" and if they got out of control in the field, my guess any
beekeeper would have been hard pressed to explain what was happening.

Hairless bees look greasy and are described so in the literature.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine