From:
Robin Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 12:17:45 -0400
Stan Sandler wrote:

> I also greatly appreciated the article, which I found fascinating.  I read
> them as an ASCII file using Q edit.  I did not check for virus, and I
> believe that nothing happened.  Moreover, if the previous discussion on this
> list is correct, and I believe that it is, then you cannot import a virus in
> an ASCII text file as long as that file has no executables in it (such as
> macros in a Word Perfect file, which is not the same as an ASCII text file).
>
> Allen Dick made the point back in the previous discussion, that we all
> should have checked the "swarm" screensaver before we executed it, and there
> I agree. (Wasn't it a lovely screensaver though; I am still using it).  I
> think that putting restrictions on people including pertinent text files as
> attachments is paranoia.  I personally am not sufficiently adept at using my
> mailer to have figured out how to get an ASCII file into the body of my
> text, and if I had something of interest to share I would have to include it
> as an attachment.
>
> I know that I run some risk of bringing disease back to my farm when I visit
> another farm, or other farmers visit me, but beyond practising reasonable
> sanitation I would never stop visiting.  Would you stop interacting with
> other beekeepers because you *might* pick up a bee virus from them?  So even
> if a slim possibility exists that someday someone will figure out how to
> transmit a virus in a text file lets not let our good discussion be held
> hostage to that.  I found the files Hans sent very informative and most
> pertinent.
>
> Regards,  Stan

You are correct Stan, the files were ASCII (text) files; which as you
stated can NOT carry any virus'.  There are WORD Macro virus' out
there as you also stated, and various detection schemes may or may not
detect them.  I am using Norton Anti-Virus for Windows 95 with
the May 96 Virus Data files downloaded from Symantec.  The files in
question brought up no virus alert, nor would one expect there to
be in an ASCII file.

As far as virus go, if individuals take proper precautions to protect
their computers as they would their bees, then the danger is
minimized.  Norton Anti-Virus as many others do have advanced detection
schemes that will allow detection of not only existing known virus' but
also ones to yet be written.  This coupled with monthly updates in data
files makes the protection rather secure.

A couple of weeks ago PCMagazine had a good article on Utilities in
general, and it covered Virus detection programmes.  Most were
rated very good, although Norton did win Editors Choice Award.

--
http://www.jenera.com