From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:23:48 -0400
>I want to treat for Nosema this fall but wonder if the baggie feeder is the
>right way to go.
> It seems to me that when one feeds from a boardman feeder the bees have to
>gather the medicated syrup and move it through the colony over a period of
>time ... From reports  in this list,  it seems that a gallon of syrup can be
>moved in a matter of days-- probably right directly below the baggies with a
>minimum of bee contact --this seems great if one wants to store the syrup
>but will it control the parasite ?

If the top super is full of capped stores, then surely the only place to
store would be the bottom box, which is the best place, as it will be used
first. But, if the top stores are poor or contaminated by the Nosema spores,
then the hive will be re-infected. Then come the spring stress, up it all
comes again.
        My belief, Nosema takes a long time to work out of an apiary once
contaminated, especially as the North Americans don't appear to fumigate
after Nosema hits.
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *