From:
Blaine S Nay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:55:21 EDT
On Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:07:19 -0600 Tim Channell <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I have been a beekeeper for about 4 years, but never encountered the
>following situation: a friend called me yesterday and ask if I would
come
>over and remove a hive that is hanging from the ceiling of her porch.
She
>tells me it is in full view and quite pretty with 4-5 nice drawn out
comb -
>overall about the size of a soccer ball.  My question to you learned
>bee-keepers is once removed, how do I set  the brood comb up in standard

>deep frames?
>
>Please email me directly ([log in to unmask]).  Thanks
>
>Tim Channell - El Paso, Texas

In the past, I've simply tied the combs into deep frames with cotton
string wrapped around the frame and comb.  This holds the comb in place
long enough for the bees to wax it into place.  They usually (but not
always or completely) remove the string after a while.  I move the combs
above an excluder as soon as possible, because you invariably get a lot
of drone cells.  After the brood has hatched from these "wild" combs, I
melt 'em down with my cappings.

Blaine Nay