From:
STEVE PHILLIPS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 10:44:59 -0600
Let me start by saying I'm not a believer in organic produce, and would never spend the extra money to buy something labeled organic.  I'm glad, however, to see the new U.S. regulations on products labeled "organic."

Yes, the regulations are totally unrealistic.  Virtually no honey in the U.S. will meet the criteria for organic, because of the extreme limits put on nectar sources, medications, and supplemental food.
I also raise a few cows, and the regulations are equally as unrealistic for meat products.

The people who buy produce labeled "organic," however, expect the food they buy to be produced with such extreme limits.   It's what they are paying extra for.  I'd be willing to bet that an awful lot of food which has previously labeled organic has not been produced in a manner which the organic crowd would find acceptable.  I know a number of different local producers of different foods who simply slap the organic label on anything, and get a higher price.

I have been unwilling to label my honey "organic" because I know that my management practices are incompatible with what the organic crowd expects.   It seems to me that these new regulations will simply level the playing field, and stop a lot of food, honey included, from being labeled "organic" and commanding a much higher price, when it really hasn't been produced under the conditions that the purchasers expect.

Sure, the purchasers of organic foods are being unrealistic in their expectations, but maybe these regulations will also force them to reevaluate their beliefs.

IMHO

Steve Phillips
Perry, KS