From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 15:05:31 +1100
On 1/01/2011 12:15 PM, Peter Loring Borst wrote:
> >Yes, well, that's why I like the Maxant. It has the regular blade for separating supers, but the little side blade at right angles for spreading the frames. You don't have to turn the hive tool around. I seldom use the hook at the other end.

I make mine out of old car springs.  I cut the eye about halfway round
to give the rounded end of the paint scraper type.  Then put a tapered
cut along the length in such a fashion to give the 'little side blade'
you refer to.  However I make it so that it is deeper than the Maxant
one.  So when one hits the rounded end to separate the super it can be
levered up sitting on the 'cutout.  Frames are of course lifted by
inserting the blade under the top bars.

Why anyone would ever need to replace a hive tool defeats me.  It is
either in your hand, sitting on the smoker bellows during smoko, or in
the smoker box.  Anywhere else and your'e sacked.

Geoff Manning