Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 16:48:42 +0200
     Apistan has been designed [by Zoecon, now called Sandoz] for use over
     ONE hive treatment only. Research performed in independent Bee
     Institutes in Europe and in America upholds this fact. It's also been
     shown by the Swiss Bee Institute for example, that a) higher levels of
     residue can occur in broodwax if the strips are left in the hive all
     year 'round instead of the 6-8 week stated treatment period and b) the
     release rate of active ingredient from re-used strips can be more
     variable than from new strips. It seems this release can actually be
     faster and at a higher level initially than from new strips, under
     certain conditions.

     With an unreliable release/dosing profile there must be some risk of
     inducing resistance, nomatter how many beekeepers want to ignore this
     possibility.

     Again I will say YES you probably will get mite kill upon re-use of
     Apistan strips. Sandoz certainly does not recommend it as the efficacy
     level and other effects on your colonies are not guaranteed.

     If you want to experiment, go ahead, you are free to choose - but
     Sandoz has already spent a lot of time in testing this product with
     bee experts internationally and you know the recommendation.

     Max