From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:00:35 -0700
> Recently, I wrote to Dr. Harbo, posing the questions that have arisen
> here, and also mentioning that I would like to be able to quote his
> reply.  Here are his comments...

Dr Harbo wrote again Tuesday and, since this adds to the previous
discussion, I quote his remarks below.  The file he attached is a PDF and
can be seen at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/JARexpl2005.pdf

I find the question of what constitutes hygienic behavior to be fascinating,
since the definition seems to be expanding without constraint.  Where is the
line?  What conceivable behaviour would NOT be hygienic behaviour?  For
example, if bees could identify adult bees carrying DWV or AFB spores and
ejected them, would this then be added to the list?  At what point does the
term, "hygienic", lose its specific meaning?

--- Dr. Harbo's further comments ---

Dear Allen,

When I sent my response, to your letter I forgot to send a copy of the
article that Jeff and I wrote for the Journal of Apicultural Research.
It is attached in PDF format.

Also, I think that the term hygienic behavior was first used by Walter
Rothenbuhler in a 1958 article. It was originally used to describe the
removal of brood infested with AFB. However, as you observed, common
usage has expanded the term to include the removal of freeze-killed
brood.

John

John Harbo
Honey Bee Breeding Laboratory
1157 Ben Hur Rd.
Baton Rouge, LA  70820   USA
TEL 225 767-9288
FAX 225 766-9212
email [log in to unmask]

--- end comments ---

allen

Oil prices have fallen lately. We include this news for the benefit of gas
stations, which otherwise wouldn't learn of it for six months.
     - William D. Tammeus