Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2010 17:21:40 -0400
> I don't have anything new to offer.  Last I heard, the Swedish reserchers
> were looking for more funding to continue the work.

That is interesting.  If their work were important, funding should be
forthcoming from interested parties.  Anytime I ever asked beekeepers to
fund specific research into something that has an economic impact and
potential return as this would, I have been offered more funds than needed.

> There is this (somewhat obscure) comment from Report to the Officers and
> Board of Directors of the Committee for the Promotion of Honey and
> Health... " certain bee-feeding practices may have dangerous and unwanted
> affects on bees"

Even a fringe organisation like CPHH that uses the weasel word, "may".

> There is also: Suppression of growth rate of colony-associated fungi by
> high fructose corn syrup feeding supplement, formic acid, and oxalic
> acid...

For significance in a buffered environment like a beehive, I'd be looking
for effects which are associated with changes measured in orders of
magnitude, not the small effects reported under lab conditions.

Anyhow, thanks for keeping the subject warm.  I'm a sceptic, but something
of practical significance may well come out of this -- my scepticism
notwithstanding.  I love to proven wrong and that has happened several times
in the past <G>.  That is how we learn, but the word is *proven* and that
seems along way off for this topic at this point.

.