From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2018 10:30:27 -0400
KT>  This should not be taken as an attack on Randy, and what he has done for the industry.
PLB> Well, as you can see, it was taken that way.

I'm glad to hear that Randy had some input on the disclaimer. At first, I thought he might have been surprised as many of us were. Even so, to single out Randy's article, and no others, with a prominently placed disclaimer, is like adding a warning label that he should be read with caution. I stick with my gut feeling that the disclaimer can be viewed in a way that discredits his writing no matter how carefully it was written. Also, a single disclaimer like the one in question can be viewed as personal and nobody wants that.

In addition, it serves no purpose since there is already a general disclaimer at the bottom of the contents page, and anyone who reads BC or ABJ, or any other publication, already knows that the editors might disagree with the authors. If the editorial staff wants to expand the policy, that would be a good place to do it because there it applies to everyone.

Further, it seems like the disclaimer is taking issue with Randy's website name "Scientific Beekeeping", which in the mind of ABJ's editorial staff means his work should be peer reviewed.  I disagree, the use of "scientific" in the context of Randy's writing simply implies he's applying the principles of science to his work and I don't think that has ever been in question. In fact, that point is stated in the last sentence of the disclaimer. Anyway, as Pete points out, Randy has earned the right to call himself a scientific beekeeper because his body of work is broadly accepted as such at all levels.

Also, folks reading the journals want a popular writer's voice in addition to the science and practical information and they don't want it changed by a new editorial staff.  Randy's readers want to hear Randy the way they are accustomed to hearing him and if the editorial staff ultimately agreed, as seems to be the case, then there was no need for a disclaimer that simply stated the obvious.

I fully acknowledge the difficulty and hard work of both BC and ABJ and appreciate their efforts to deliver our community with the best information possible.

ABJ Disclaimer: Although titled Scientific Beekeeping, this article by Randy Oliver does not undergo scientific peer review and the opinions expressed are his own. The editorial staff does not always agree with his views. Randy does strive to support everything he writes with scientific or practical
evidence, and appreciates feedback or critiques from other scientists, which he will happily attach to the articles at ScientificBeekeeping.com.

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT