From:
Hervé Logé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:59:43 +0100
> Interesting discussion on wintering bees!

Each time this theme come up on the list, I learn
something or I understand a step further. Teaching is
repetitious...

 I don't
> think that
> insolation has an important effect when above flight
> temperature or
> when it is  below dormancy temperatures.

I have no thermocouple in my hive, unfotunately. But I
measured T, RH% and ventilation flow last week, by
curiousity, using a probe for IAQ (indoor air
quality)study. I measured T and RH between frame 1 and
inner side hive, and frame 10 and inner side hive in
the bottom box in order to compare poly and wood
hives. All insulated with reflectix. Outdoor condition
: 54 %RH and and 7 to 8C (depending on clouds cover,
the probe is quite sensitive), in the late afternoon
(17h).

When there was no curious bee on the probe: 10C to
11C, 60 to 70% RH in 4 hives tested between side frame
and inner hive side. (2 hives in poly, 2 in wood, too
lazy to measure others; 3 hives with upper
ventilation, 1 without ventilation)

Same test in the morning the next day. Outdoor and
inhive (at the sampling points) air conditions were
the same.

Other observation:

Sunday was a sunny day with about 10C outdoor. I took
advantage of the day to treat with OA. I was amazed to
see 6 italian hives very busy. Bees were looking for
water immediately around hives, especially on the
hives top. This activity stpped as soon as clouds hide
the sun. 1 Italian hive had no activity. This hive has
no ventilation. I experienced to let the poly feeder
on it for the full winter. I opened the top insulation
and could see drops on the transparent plastic of the
fedder and bees licking drops. I could also see some
water on bootom sides...

3 other hives had no activity. All 3 are Russian. I
was wondering why because they are all ventilated and
dispatched among Italian hives in as sunny location as
Italians.

Any explaining comments welcome

Hervé