From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:01:53 -0600
>...Aaron and Allen are doing a superb job of maintaining its content
> within reasonable rules of professionalism,  tolerance, diversity and
> opinion...

Thanks for the kind words.  I should mention that there are currently two other
more or less anonymous moderators working in parallel with us to keep the list
chugging along.

> h) Bee fat body protein levels increased with consumption of pollen

Okay, that one got me wondering when I heard it, and I did hear it too.

What is protein doing in a 'fat body'?  Or is that just a term.  I saw the
diagram, and I guess I'd better get studying, since bee nutrition, and its
effects is IMO, probably the most important single subject a beekeeper should
master.

I'm going to pick this up later, since you gave us a lot to chew, but I'm off to
bed for now.

As a last thought... If anyyone is interested in IPM and knowing what is really
happening when the Apistan (R) goes in, my advice is don't take a few low level
results in some yards to mean that there is no problem anywhere.  We have been
inserting Apistan (R) all week and watching the mite drop.

Until today, nothing, BUT, this afternoon my son came home with some sticky
boards just brown with mites and also saw mites on bees at the entrance and
mites on the entrance in taht one ONE yard (so far).

Six months ago we sampled 800 hives of our 3000 at a 10% level and did not see
One Mite.  Until now, levels we have found in the first quarter of the outfit
have been around 20 mites or less, usually nil.  This yard was at literally
thousands.  I wonde what else we will find?

allen
-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://listserv.albany.edu/archives/bee-l.html
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.