From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:32:10 -0500
> "In the case of bees, Wenner argued that the dance information
> may well be only a symptom of what a foraging bee has
> experienced as it flies between hive and food place, not a
> signal for other bees."

Well, if it is NOT a "signal", and is, instead, a mere
"symptom", then why would bees exhibit starkly different
dance behavior in tropical locations when the sun rises
and sets to the North of the hive from their behavior when
the sun is consistently South of the hive?

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/39/2/271.pdf

Given that the dance angles associated with the same
foraging area are different when the sun is near, at,
or on one side or the other of zenith, one seems
forced to accept:

a) That there is a deliberate attempt to demonstrate a
   vector with a specific direction

b) That the vector is consistently demonstrated in
   terms of an angle from the sun's position, subject
   to the limits of a bee's ability to sense and/or
   project the movement/position of the sun.

c) That the bees are forced to make these changes in
   their dancing, and even dance less during periods
   when the sun is at or very near zenith exactly
   because it is more difficult to deliver information
   of value to other bees at these unique times.

If the dances were a mere "symptom", then they would
not change by a predictable amount as the sun moves
through zenith on its seasonal path from north to south
or south to north, nor would dances be less frequent
and/or "confused" when the sun is exactly at zenith.

If there are other possible interpretations, I'd sure like
to hear them, as this is yet another case where conditions
appear to force the bees to act in highly unusual ways, yet
their actions consistently appear to be very good examples
of expressing the same information using the same simple rules.

Changing conditions that force obvious changes in the expression
itself, in this case the "angle" of the waggle runs, tend to
support the contention that there is purpose behind their
actions, and that the information content is not some sort of
anthropomorphic jump to a conclusion

Guidelines for BEE-L Submissions
1.  Do not include excessive quotes of previous submissions.   If you must quote previous postings, include only what is necessary to make your point.   Submissions that include the entirety of previous posts may be rejected without comment or notice.

Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm