From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:59:55 -0500
Hello Dee and All,
Dee wrote:

 Does research really want to know? That's
> what I'd like to know?

I doubt any researcher on the list will respond  so I will.  Research did
not see  reducing  cell size as the answer  for  the feral bee problem. In
most areas of the U.S. the feral population has not returned. The precious
research dollars were better spent on SMR. Introduction of the SMR genes to
our bees could be a permanent solution for  feral colonies and commercial
beekeepers alike.

The above does not make 4.9mm research less important but reducing cell size
is not the solution for the feral population in my opinion.

Beekeepers  ARE skeptical as many cures for mites have been put forward over
the last 15 years and most have proved of little value by our researchers.
NONE HAVE RESTORED OUR FERAL BEES. Even chemicals can not restore the feral
colonies.

The direction our U.S. researchers have chosen might with Russian bees and
SMR bees.

With all due respect I wait to be shown that Italian bees on 4.9mm cell size
can survive tracheal mites without treatment. Also small cell size is the
answer for AFB and small hive beetle.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Ps. I do find it curious that my friend Allen Dick is using the *shoehorn*
to downsize his bees to 4.9mm after  all the posts about he had found the
perfect cell size at 5.1mm. Maybe I ought to dig up a couple of those
*shoehorn* posts from the past refering to downsizing.

I do wish all the 49ers success and hope you will keep us posted on
progress.

 I wonder if going even lower to say 4.8mm might be even better?  Maybe
4.7mm would be better as closer to cerana cell size. Just thinking out loud
.