Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:18:13 -0400
Awhile back someone mentioned a low cost home made bee-vac made from a old
package bee cage. I recently made one and was very impressed with its
performance. It took about 10 mins. to make. A note I screened the area
where the queen cage was for air flow and adjusted the air intake by letting
a clear garbage bag down alittle on the side and using my hand to control
the air as bees covered the screened area. Also instead of the syrup can I
used a coffee can, cut out the bottom and kept the plastic cover cutting a
hole large enough for the hose of my 1.5 hp. shop vac. This left one hole to
cut for the intake hose, which is to one side of the syrup can hole. Works !
I used a 3 lb. cage, a larger one might be better but you can change cages
quickly and if you staple screen over the intake opening it makes a good
temporary holding cage. Many thanks to the person who posted the bee-vac
idea.