From:
"Leslie J. Huston" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Aug 2009 11:56:49 -0400
"How exactly do you install the bees without filling the room? Do I have
to make up the OB hive in the apiary and then bring in the whole thing
to install it? Build a plastic bubble room, quickly transfer frames into
it, and hope the strays will find their way out an open window? What's
worked for you?
Thanks in advance.
Kurt "

I have helped with an obs. hive at a nature center, and yes, the hive
itself is detachable from it's base and access tube so it is moved
outside for loading and occasional manipulations.  The frames to be
loaded can be brought from the parent hive in a nuc box, to avoid having
to transport the obs. hive itself.  There are usually a few strays that
escape into the room when we detach / re-attach the hive, and a
butterfly net or fishtank dipping net is a good way to capture them and
get them outdoors (where they will rejoin the hive via the entrance).
This is especially helpful at the nature center where there may be a
group of kids coming in very soon who would be distracted by stray bees
flying around the room, in the light fixtures, or up against the window.

- Leslie