From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2016 13:08:13 -0700

> > From my reading they
> infected the drones with DWV  while the normal mechanism would be through
> Varroa in the cells.I am not sure that most of the normally infected drones
> would make it out to the DCA compared to the lab treated ones.

Bill, there were two texts:
1.  A scientific paper "Deformed wing virus can be transmitted during
natural mating
in honey bees and infect the queens" and
2.  A news article written by Science Daily
 https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161004104622.htm
<https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161004104622.htm>

The scientific paper did not mention the word "CCD," and the M&M explain
that the infected drones were provided by free-flying, mite-infested
colonies.  The study demonstrated that highly DWV-infected drones can
indeed fly to and successfully mate with a queen--a surprising finding.

> >There may b a probability that the queen gets infected, but I would think
> it would be small. So I seriously doubt that it is connected to queen
> deaths.

Actually, if you refer to Fig. 1, the probability appears to be rather high.
 --
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA