From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:40:40 -0800
As long as this box has been opened I'm going to pose a question for all to ponder, and to respond, hopefully.

What are some good traits to look for and breed for in a good queen?

I know a few:
  1.  brood production
  2.  hive production
  3.  mite tollerance
  4.  locality acclimation
  5.  docility
  6.  minimal queen supercedure

What are some others?  In selecting for these traits does one start with a few and keep adding others as selection allows?  Dee mentioned 18 traits.  Are there more?  As we list, let's all respond why we would select for a certain trait or why we, personally, would not bother with that trait.  Remember some traits important to some of us would not even be considered by others of us.  I have a buddy who is really impressed with the cordovan trait and what he considers the attached docility of the strain.  I won't debate the connection, but he considers both important traits and and wants to add some queens from this line to his yards.  I can see the cordovan trait valuable as an indicator for the infusion of bees from other strains (Africans).  Other than that, the color would be unimportant to me.  Think we could get a pretty good discussion going on this if we remember to respect the opinions of others and remember that they are opinions and not cut in rock doctrines.

Mike in Lower Alabama

Yahoo! Mail