Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:38:59 +0200
Hi All

I come in on the middle of this debate - but have a few observations.

I used to feed my bees with basins placed on top of the brood frames
and a brood chamber around this and the hive lid on top. Inside this
I used to place ploystyrene chips and sugar solution, and the bees
quite happily drank from this. When it was empty the left.

When I came to refill each week I noticed that intially a few bees
would run into the basin as I began pouring. After about five weeks
(I was farming combs in factory hives for other hives) of feeding I
noticed that the bees would run up even before I began pouring and
would be wating. Once I stopped feeding the continued with this
behaviour for a month after. (it was not defensive behaviour)

Learning and intelligence are interlinked. Recent advances in the
whole IQ gene thing have shown, much to my dismay as I have a bad
memory, that mice with better memories have better problem solving
skills. Problem solding skills are the basis of intelligence. Bees
solve problems, and have memory, therefore they could be collectively
intelligent, and could be conscious, as to collectively intelligently
solve a problem, and remember how to do it suggests consciousness to
me.

Oh well

Keep well

Garth