From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:48:48 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<Many beekeepers have made their bees aggressive in my opinion  because with
stronger suits they have taken to getting lazy about using  smoke. Smoke to
me is the beekeeping tool which keeps the bees calm. Used  correctly most
hives can be worked without problem. When you enter a hive  without smoke
many times you quickly get a few stings to your suit. Without  smoke to mask
the alarm odor the bees get on  edge.>>

    I don't make a habit of opening hives without  smoke, but I've been known
to forget to smoke them. Most of the time, it it's my  Amm strain, it makes
no difference, and they're as quiet without it as  with. I currently have one
hive which I wouldn't want to do that with, but it'll  be requeened as soon as
I have a queen of the right strain available, unless I  lose patience and
combine it first.

    I've had Italian hybrids twice, of different  strains, and found them
unpredictable and frequently downright nasty; my last  bad stinging was from such
a hive. I've never had one I'd presume to open  without a good deal of smoke.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley,
Birmingham  UK