From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2009 11:33:17 -0600
  The trouble
> is that in the last few years we have managed to get three unwanted
> organisms (EFB, chalkbrood and small hive beetle).

Few years? The fight against EFB & chalkbrood in Australia has been going on
for more than a few years from my prespective. SHB is only a minor problem
from my point of view and only takes a few management changes to control. A
much overblown problem,

>So there is concern about the scout masters

Nothing personal Geoff but the above points to a problem with beekeeping in
the U.S..

Today's beekeeping reality is always changing. Then there is the beekeeping
group which is always trying to return beekeeping to the "good old days"
which is not reality.

Many  times when I am asked beekeeping advice my first step is to give said
beekeeper a reality check.

Reality is the first step step solving beekeeping problems.

The "scout masters" try to place reasonable controls but none are foolproof.

Money dictates the amount of controls. The favorite method by congress is
too listen and then if lucky provide only a token amount of what is needed
to solve the problem. Many times funding is sent through politics in the
opposite direction recommended by those needing the funding which makes
those asking for help wonder about the way the system works. Especially when
you see funding quickly passed for a bridge to nowhere.

Even the four million dictated for CCD if used solely for prevention of new
bee pests would soon be gone and in my opinion could if past beekeeping
history is correct most likely only delay the inevitable.

Look at the pests the U.S. even with a complete ban on imports. As long as
ships ,planes and containers arrive from parts of the world which harbor
such bee pests all areas in which these arrive are vulnerable

"scout masters" could do a better job but all beeks which are able to see
the forest past a few trees realize even the best controls will not stop the
problem. Too many areas to watch and control.

In my opinion varroa will be in Australia within the next decade. Instead of
crying over EFB ,chalkbrood and SHB (all small issues from my viewpoint) I
would be smiling from ear to ear enjoying the time you have got left without
having to deal with varroa.

I would love to name the U.S. researcher which said he was stopping the
study of varroa 10 years ago as we know all there is to know about varroa.
The statement was made before varroa destructor was discovered.

Even myself was taken back by the varroa mite. The worst pest to commercial
beekeeping I ever met. I remember the way beekeeping was before varroa
arrived. Newbees today only know what bees are like today. There is quite a
bit of resistance to varroa in our U.S. bees as compared to 20 years ago
when varroa wiped out half the hives in the U.S. with the first invasion.
However the prediction of Dr. Shiminuki ( ret. head of Beltsville Bee lab
and at the helm at the start of varroa) that a bee would be bred which would
handle varroa without treatment for commercial beeks would be found within
20 years did not happen. Sure we have certain lines which are steps in the
right direction but none of those lines ( I have observed most if not all)
resemble the hives of the before varroa days without treatment. With
aggressive treatments and supplemental feeds those bees can come close but
in my opinion mites sap the strength of a hive of bees.

Consider:
Many of the best commercial beek minds said crops would double when the
feral colonies disappeared and only our bees would not have competition from
feral hives.

Did not happen.

Consider:
In Australia bees without varroa still gather crops like we did before
varroa.

I would like to see a test (which will never happen) ran by taking U.S. hive
with below threshold varroa load placed against a hive from Australia which
has no mite load (NONE) . Both equal as to bees/brood/etc.

From my research I already know the result. Would be a real eye opener.
Count your blessings Geoff (at least for the time being!}

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison