Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:12:50 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

I had  not realized English ivy flowered and secreted nectar in quantity
that's  attractive to bees.  Does anyone know if it's a good source?  It's
attractive to plant in any garden.

It is a very useful source of winter feed.  In recent years there has  been a
strong flow at the end of the year and sometimes my hives are heavier in
spring than they were in autumn courtesy of ivy.  I don't feed my bees.

The honey granulates quickly and coarsely with a strong flavour not to
everyone's taste, but I like it. I sometimes invert a hive top feeder over the
colony to get some cut comb for personal use.

Chris