From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 19:52:06 -0800
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Allen Dick wrote:

> It's feeding time again, and I'm wondering about brewers' Yeast.
>
> I notice that it is recommended in some formulae and not in others.  When
> I went to purchase, I find that there is a variety of price on the market,
> and a variety of colour.
>
> I wonder if anyone on the list has had any experience with different
> kinds of brewers'yeasts and if any are actually harmful (say the ones that
> are dried at high temoperatures).
>
> And while I am asking, has anyone actually experimented to see if Mann
> Lake's BeePro is any better than soy flour with or without brewers' yeast?
>
> I dutifully read the section in the Hive and the Honeybee, and all I could
> really conclude is that bees will eat just about anything and that any
> given formula will work sometimes and apparently not others.
>
> Has anyone some real answers on this?

 Hi Allen and All,   I used a 50 pound bag of Coors brewers yeast and did
not kill my bees. I mixed it with Bee Pro and pollen plus some honey when
I made pattys. I dry feed it in Febuary if I can get a few good days. I
want to push for early drones so I can do queens.I would stay away from
soy flower in any high % of the mixture.For me 20% is tops. Thats why I
use bee Pro as a base. Steve Taber did a paper on the problems with soy
flower in the digestive system of the Bee. If the bees can get out and fly
it is not as bad of a problem as feeding them in the hive, and there
inability to get out and have a cleansing flight. I feel that honey in the
patty will help the bee to digest the soy flower.Maybe not much but it is
what the bees can handle with ease.
 Now I have a question. What test can you do to check if you have good
corn syurp.I can get some at a good price  , but my little ladies have to
get only something good.I can get it tested but I need to know what we are
looking for in bad corn syurp.

 Best Regards
 Roy