From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:19:37 -0700
Check your state's law with respect to labels.  Most require that you
completely identify the packer including name, address, and phone as well
as the contents, "Honey."

Regardless, all those things are useful to have on the label if you want
repeat business.

As to bottling on a small scale, we found it was helpful to put our honey
into a large barrel to settle and to tap off the bottom.  Although it
sounds like extra work, we tapped from the 55 gal drum into a 5 gallon
bucket which also was equipped with a valve on the side near the bottom.
We ran the stream from the large barrel through a strainer to catch odd
pieces of flotsam (or was it jetsam).  By allowing a second settling in
the smaller bucket (which was portable) we bottled very clear honey with a
minimum of effort and expense.

And while I'm at it, may I make a pitch for clean buckets?  You should see
some of the buckets delivered by keepers who would have their honey
extracted.

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Rodney Farrar wrote:

> This is my first year to get honey any comments on how to process it. Its
> currently in 5 gallons buckets and was put through a strainer (two parts)
> before being place in the buckets. Can I now go straight from the buckets to
> the bottles? Some of my honey will be sold at the local fairs through our
> club, do I need a complete address or is name, town and phone number enough?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rodney in VA

Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, Raw Honey                | leave our kids a decent place to live.