From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:44:35 -0500

>Lyle Johnston (pres. of American Honey Producers Assoc.) was asked recently
>by a grower, "can't you beekeepers make money at $60/hive for pollination?"

Well? What's the answer? Can a beekeeper make money pollinating almonds at
$60/colony. Or apples in the northeast at $35. Or Blueberries in Maine at $50?

I quit pollinating apples in the northeast at $35. Even with honey prices
at $.80/lb, I felt I was losing money. Pollinators make a super less
honey...that's $25. And then there's all the extra work getting the bees
ready, and moving in and out, and damage to equipment, and extra help to
hire. With our short season in Northern Vermont/New York, pollinating
apples at $35 is not economical. And what about Maine Blueberries? The bees
really took a beating last year on the Blueberry barrens, and many were too
weakened to make a honey crop later in the season.
         The pollination check looks great early in the season...if you
haven't managed your finances well, but for me...pollinating is a losing
proposition.

Mike