Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:27:14 GMT
>>They die. Wax moth cleans up the remains. Therefor it is hard to
observe something that is not there. Habeas corpus.****

Well, Bill, it's not quite that simple.  At a minimum, I'd like to
observe them in the dying process in nature before they get wiped
out.  It should be possible at least every once in a while, right?

Now you may argue that I only get called to thriving colonies because
collapsing colonies are a lesser nuisance.  A feral colony with AFB
in August should still have a large enough workforce to be a nuisance
to a homeowner though.

>>I run into people who point out colonies that have existed for many
years in trees. If they did, they would be the holy grail that we
search for, but they never are.

Are you saying a feral colony can't survive on its own for several
years in this day and age?  I don't think you can come up with the
evidence, pro or con.  I am only going by the observations of the
homeowners.  If an observant homeowner tells me he's observed bees,
with pollen on their legs, coming into a hole in his house every
April (about a month before the start of our swarming season) and
through the rest of the season, it suggests to a continually occupied
cavity.

[Yes, there are some homeowners who are curious about nature and not
afraid to approach a bee's entrance hole.  I had one person say he
did not mind having the bees but his roofer was scared to death of
them and the repairs had to be done.]

Of course, this is NOT the case with EVERY feral colony but it is a
case with a lot of colonies.

>>There may be studies on the stability of feral colonies in the
wild, but it would be difficult to control the primary variable of
beekeeper's colonies in the area that replenish the feral population.

You'd just have to come up with a method of tracking the queen, and
her supercedure descendants, in a feral colony for several years.
The nature of natural cavities and comb do not make this easy.
Sounds like a great research project to me.

>>You could lose every feral colony every year but replenish it
with "kept" bees every year so it would look like you had a stable
feral population.

You are assuming the local beekeepers are carrying strong colonies
into the next spring and that they swarm. :)  In my neck of the
woods, the number of beekeepers has been decreasing disappointedly
fast.

>>The feral bees did die off, as our Pumpkin growers here in Maine
found out.

There is no question the feral population has shrunk in many areas of
the country with the introduction of the mites.  I don't know if they
are springing back everywhere but I did get a record number of calls
from Nassau County on Long Island last summer where beekeeping has
been outlawed for decades.  I know of 2 beekeepers in Nassau and both
of them are 10-15 miles away from the area where I received most
calls.

Of course, there may be some beekeepers there under the radar.  I
don't know for sure.  What I do know is that my purchased Italian and
NWC colonies would succumb to varroa within a year to a point of
being way understrength for the winter.  Since I started raising
queens from collected feral queens, they do much better.  Perhaps I
raise better queens but it's the stock that determines resistance to
varroa.

BTW, to me, a feral colony, is any colony NOT taken directly from a
managed hive.  They can be long-term established colonies or colonies
started from recent beekeeper swarms.  I don't have a way of
distinguishing between the two - although the color of the collected
colonies is often a shade different from what I've seen, it's not a
reliable indicator - and, in fact, the origin does not matter to me.
All I am looking for is stock that does well left to its own
devices.

Waldemar