Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 07:50:17 -0400
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Real "organic" does not sell very well as the fruit is ugly cosmetically.
> 50-75% goes on the compost heap. Fungicides are perhaps more important than
> pest control as far as looks go.
> I know as I sold such fruit for a couple decades. People many times talk no
> spray but then slip past your booth to buy the perfect looking sprayed
> fruit.  If they do buy most will pick through the boxes looking for only
> the
> perfect fruit. I tried to put a range of fruit in each box but yet they
> want to cull. After awhile I had had enough of the "organic' buyers. In a
> true organic apple operation quite a bit of imperfect apples abound.

Great post, Bob.

I spoke with many in the organic movement who were realists and they mirror
exactly what you said. Some fruits and veggies will have a great deal of
cosmetic damage without sprays, and some of the organic sprays are worse
than commercial sprays.

I practice 'pure"organic gardening (no applications of anything), was a long
time member of MOFGA , one of the strongest and active state organizations
in the country. Also was the rep for the beekeepers on our State Ag council.
I used my ties with MOGFA to give our small organization a voice which
helped.

organic farming, as I do. Eat around the protein.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine