From:
Harry Goudie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:59:12 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 03 December 1998 17:43
Subject: Apistan and Bayvoral

>>My understanding is that Bayvoral label instructions provide that the
strips
>can (should?) be used when supers are on a hive, or during a flow, but that
>"hive products other than honey" should not be consumed if harvested from a
>hive where strips were in place during a flow.  I also understand that
>Bayvoral personnel have opined that comb honey is a "product other than
>honey".
>
>Apparently the strips are formulated so that the miteicides are
hydrophobic,
>i.e. they will not be absorbed by water based liquids, including honey.
>However, they will be absorbed by wax.  Apistan label instructions provide
>for treatment before or after a honey flow, but not during a flow.  Thus,
>there are no restrictions on use of "hive products other than honey".

I can't comment on Apistan but have read that different instructions exist
for the use of Bayvarol depending on which country you happen to live in!
The German instructions say that the strips are NOT to be used during a
honey flow and that comb honey and propolis should not be sold for human
consumption and honey should only be offered for sale if it has been very
finely filtered.   For English speakers the instructions are different.  The
strips may be used at ANY time with no withdrawal period required regardless
of when Bayvarol was used.  Other products should not be taken for human
consumption until the spring following treatment!  No mention in the English
version of filtering the honey.
I would be interested to know if a difference exists between the German
instructions for Apistan and the English version