From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:08:37 -0600
> I drive a truck and find myself checking my mail and surfing the net
> at all hours of the day and night.  I appears that there is someone
> posting to the list at any given hour of the day since we are
> located all around the world.  If we could set up a chat channel,
> and leave it up all the time, I believe there would be someone on it
> all the time.  If you want to chat with particular person, then get
> up early or stay up late which ever the case may be.  I would like
> to see this work because I think it would benefit all of us and help
> us get to know each other better.

I've found a *free* Microsoft program called 'Netmeeting' available
from their download site.  It allows using a *microphone*, a common
whiteboard, or sharing screens between individuals or groups.  You
need Win95 to use it.

I tried it last night with a fellow Ham radio op from Quebec, and it
worked until it crashed my computer :(  Three times!  I think I have
a hardware conflict.  The problem happened only when he tried to
show me his browser window.  The voice and chat function --using
typing -- went fine.  I've has a hardware conflict I couldn't track
down for some time, so I guess now I'll have to find it.

The reason I called him --  a fellow Ham -- was it was my first try.
When I saw the descriptions of all the folks listed on the
server, I wasn't sure if I really should talk to them, or if I did,
exactly  what we would discuss.

Probably not bees or the weather, 'cause many were soliciting 'gay
chat' or other suggestive things like 'female, no lez's'.  Oh oh! At
least with a Ham, I know the conversation is one I can handle.
Beekeepers too, I hope, but I didn't see any listed :(

I plan to work on it more nad soon we may all be able to meet even
more casually.  Anyhow, if you get Netmeeting and get it working,
try me tomorrow night from 7 to 9:30 MST.  I may or may not be on,
and if I am, my computer may crash, so don't take it personally if I
suddenly become unresponsive.  And if I'm in a conversation already,
feel free to bust in -- it won't be private.

The URLfor the software?
http://www.microsoft.com/netmeeting/download/betadwnld.htm

And BTW look for me on
uls1.microsoft.com

Later.  Gotta run.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>