From:
Brent Farler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:20:38 -0500
Check out David Cushman's web site at
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/newhome.html.  He has examples
of the BIBBA record cards (http://www.bibba.co.uk/) used for tracking
hive characteristics and queen performance.  Also, remember that if
someone has a thousand or two hives it is important to understand yards
and yard performance, queens and queenline performance,  not really hive
performance.

If you have the money to experiment, the Pocket PC can use an SD bar
code scanning card.  This would allow a bar coded hive id that would
make the pocket pc more useful.  Record keeping in a full bee suit with
a thousand circling bees in hot weather is not necessarily what an
analytical and thoughtful approach might dream up.  Besides, with hands
coated in propolis, honey, wax and dirt it gets hard to use a small
instrument. The situation is even worse in the extracting room. These
are all elements to consider in your design.

One beekeeper uses a system of a brick on top of the hive. In the middle
ok, right front corner means this, left front corner means that and so
forth. Others use a piece of chalk and write on the sides.

I have a pocket PC running version 2003, if you want me to review your
work.

Brent Farler

>I am teaching a software design and documentation course at a nearby
university and in an effort to demonstrate the "proper" planning and
design of a software program I am designing a Pocket-PC record keeper
for beekeepers