Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 14:32:50 -0600
 > PS: use and old smoker, remember that the heat that AN produces is so
high
 > that even the ribbet get loose !!!

A trick I used to use before stainless steel smokers was to find a juice
can the same size or slightly bigger, cut out the bottom and then slit
down the side and slip it into thew smoker, making a double wall.

As for the smoker method of heating ammonium nitrate, maybe there are
better ways.  I'm thinking that using a fire, as in a smoker, probably
burns most of the N2O gas and that would be why the smoker gets so hot.

Apparently, heating to 250 C is the basic trick, so a 250 degree hot
plate of some sort might be more efficient.  The fact that nitrous oxide
is explosive, might make one think again. though, although in small
amounts and an open vessel, the risk should be minimal.

There are electric smokers on the market.  Could that be the answer?

I'm not recommending.  Just thinking.  Don't try this at home, kids.